St. Vincent Heart Center
Student Athlete Echo Screenings
Young athletes, while appearing healthy, should be evaluated for the potential risk of sudden death from cardiac-related abnormalities. The student athlete echo screenings provides peace-of-mind for parents by screening for the leading causes of congenital cardiovascular conditions that place student athletes at risk for sudden collapse or sudden death.
- St. Vincent Medical Group Cardiology Services will be offering student athlete echo screening at our Medical Office Building at the St. Vincent Heart Center.
- Students entering the sixth grade in the fall of 2017 to a senior in high school are eligible for the screening.
- The screening focuses on the four leading causes of cardiovascular compromise (including sudden cardiac death) in athletes: hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, Marfan’s aorta, mitral valve prolapse and aortic valve stenosis.
- The screening is non-invasive and does not represent a full 2-D echocardiography or Doppler examination.
- Results are mailed to the parents 10-14 working days after the screening.
- If screening results are abnormal, parents should seek follow-up care with their child’s personal physician.
*This is a limited test and does not evaluate for all potential cardiovascular conditions that could exist now or in the future, including valvular abnormalities or coronary artery disease. The examination should not replace a complete cardiovascular examination if indicated by symptoms.
Register by calling 888-338-CARE (2273). No walk ups and no money taken at the screening. You must register.
Cost is $20.
10590 N. Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN 46290